The advantages and disadvantages of chemotherapy for those with prostate cancer are all related to:
- That chemotherapy does an efficient job of eliminating a tumour and adverse cells in one’s body.
And the disadvantages, of chemotherapy for prostate cancer have to do with:
- The fact that chemotherapy may conceivably destroy healthy cells and tissue also.
And so, as a potential prostate cancer treatment, chemotherapy can be very much a double-edged sword because of the fact that it can be healthy and unhealthy at the very same time.
Only a Recent Treatment
In fact, not too long ago, chemotherapy was not regarded as actually being an efficient treatment for people with prostate cancer. In fact, it’s only been in more recent years, that medical researchers have discovered one of the benefits of chemotherapy for prostate cancer, and that is, that chemotherapy medication like:
- Estramustine phosphate
All help to create a reduction in the uncomfortable symptoms of advanced cases of prostate cancer, which also goes on to extending patients’ lives and improving a patient’s all round quality of life, something which those looking for prostate cancer screening in Singapore, should maybe consider.
No Overnight Stays Necessary
- One more benefit of chemotherapy for prostate cancer includes knowing that the amount of chemotherapy can be adjusted all depending on what the prostate cancer patient requires.
- Plus, chemotherapy can be carried out like on an outpatient basis, which means that prostate cancer patients do not need to remain overnight in a hospital to receive any therapy.
One of the obvious disadvantages is that even though chemotherapy can retard the growth of a cancer, the chemotherapy will not be guaranteed to cure prostate cancers. Chemotherapy happens to kill healthy cells in addition to cancer cells and there are various side effects, like:
- Hair loss
- Loss of appetite
- Mouth sores because of damage done to the digestive tract.
Other negative symptoms can include becoming more open to disease because of the depletion of white blood cells, tiredness, and an increased tendency towards bruising, bleeding, and internal bleeding. There may also be certain side effects such as headaches, tinnitus, optical disturbance, confusion, and downward moods.
Stick With the Advice
Medical professionals do advise their patients to make sure that they drink adequate amounts of water, consume healthy foods, and stay well clear of acidic drinks and alcohol whilst undergoing a course of chemotherapy therapy.
Plus, there are easily available medicines that will reduce cases of constipation or diarrhoea. A change in diet, taking the right medication, and even using a quality soft toothbrush can help to lessen the negative side effects of chemotherapy for prostate cancer; even though some side effects may however happen to occur.
In the interests of the patient, any kind of side effect should be reported to his or her doctor as soon as possible.